Tours are conducted by Volunteers.
Effective 1 March 2021, we are re-opening our gallery spaces and we will be conducting tours by appointment. We will also look to progressively support community events with our historical vehicles. The safety and well-being of our visitors, volunteers and staff continues to be our top priority. For more information on our approach to COVID-19, please read this statement.
The South Australian Police Historical Society offers guided tours for groups of 15 or more people. The Society will require at least 28 days prior notice of any intended tour. The Society will consider smaller groups, particularly those with special needs and also for schools. Please contact the Society by telephone (Thursday only for direct calls) or by email to discuss your proposed visit with the Tour Manager.
The Guides are most often former police officers who have been trained particularly to guide visitors through the very interesting displays which depict the history of not just the South Australia Police, but South Australia generally.
Tours are available during the week EXCEPT on Thursdays and generally start at 10:00am or 1:00pm. A basic tour will take about 1.5 hours and if morning or afternoon tea is included it will be 2 hours.
- A basic tour costs $10.00 per person
- Morning or Afternoon Tea will cost an additional $5.00 per person.
- We do not charge an admission fee for carers assisting persons with special needs.
- There is no parking available within the Thebarton Barracks complex from Monday to Friday for private vehicles. Vehicle parking on weekends may be available, but will depend on the needs of the operational police working within Thebarton Barracks.
- Parking is available for a tour group attending in a bus.
- Parking for persons with a disability may be negotiated with the Tour Manager at the time of booking.
- Please note that the Museum is contained within a heritage listed building (built 1917). Access to two Galleries requires climbing stairs. When making a booking, please advise if any of the tour group have mobility difficulties.
- Please also note that access to Gaol Road can only be made by making a left hand turn. Vehicles must approach along Port Road from the west.
Booking request form
For information about our approach to COVID-19, please read our statement.